August 2, 2011

The Brü Revü – Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout

I expected more out of this Imperial Stout, and I may be in the minority on this one.  Samuel Smith Brewery is a British brewery that makes consistently good, high quality beers, but this one left me a bit flat.  It poured black like a proper stout with a nice tan head that lingered and looked enticing.  Unfortunately there was little aroma and the taste was thin and watery, definitely not what I was expecting from this highly rated Imperial Stout.  I like my stouts big and bold and this one just wasn’t there.  I kept waiting for more complex flavors to appear but a watery dark chocolate with a slightly bitter finish was all I was getting.  It is definitely worth trying as a comparison of a British version of an Imperial Stout against the bigger and bolder American styles, but in the future I would opt for something with a little more oomph!  



No comments:

Post a Comment