April 15, 2013

The Brü Revü – Jester King Boxer’s Revenge Barrel-Aged Wild Ale

It’s difficult for me to pick my favorite Jester King beer as they have a wide variety of unique beers and flavors to satisfy my palate. I can say the Boxer’s Revenge was the first Jester King beer that really wowed me and took my perception of their beers in a new direction.  It was my first sour beer and while I can’t say I completely love sour beers, I couldn’t stop drinking the Boxer’s Revenge.  The brew is aged in oak whiskey and wine barrels with multiple strains of wild yeast and bacteria and exudes a rustic earthiness as soon as you open the bottle. The beer holds a myriad of flavors that meld into a wonderful and unique experience.  You can definitely pick up the whiskey and wine oak aging on top of the funky sour ness and earthy barnyard qualities.  Wrapping all these flavors is a hop blanket that weaves in and out of all the flavors and lingers on your palate.  This is just an all around fantastic beer.  None of the flavors overpower you, the sour fruits and barnyard funk hit the right notes with the hoppy bitterness and oak keeping everything in tune. Surprisingly smooth and drinkable for such a high ABV brew and opening my palate to a larger world of sour and funky beers.  I can’t get enough of the Boxer’s Revenge.

Jester King Boxer’s Revenge Barrel-Aged Wild Ale








No comments:

Post a Comment