October 29, 2013

The Brü Revü – (512) Brewing Company 5th Anniversary Party

I try to never miss the (512) Anniversary Party and I always have a great time.  This year was no exception.  It was a great way to kick of Austin Beer Week and turned into a really well done and organized event.  You could easily get a core beer at any one of their numerous tents, and while the line for the “special beers” got long it moved quickly and efficiently.  I really enjoyed the selection at the “Special Beer” tent with the highlights being the Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter 2012 and 2013 on tap and the Stingo.


(512) FIVE - Their Anniversary beer was an Imperial Stout and it was tasty. It was full of heavy roasted malts and a bit of chocolaty goodness and dark fruits to boot.  Underneath it all I kept thinking I tasted some similarities to the Pecan Porter, but definitely bigger and bolder.  Well done!


(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter - They had the 2012 and 2013 versions and I opted for the 2012.  So good.  Just a perfect beer that highlights their Pecan Porter. Nutty, chocolate, vanilla and whiskey barrel goodness.


(512) FOUR - On Firken with something added, but I didn’t catch what it was.  I really liked their FOUR from last year, but this was just OK for me.  It could have been because it had to follow the Barrel Aged Pecan Porter.

(512) Pecan Porter on Nitro - The only way to drink the Pecan Porter.  Thick, creamy and delicious.


(512) Stingo - I was looking forward to the Stingo.  It’s their FOUR barrel aged for a year on American Oak and dry hopped.  Wow!  It was good.  Lot’s of woody barrel character with a dry finish.  Tart and tangy with wine like flavors and some vanilla smoothness.  Unique and complex.


(512) THREE - I am a sucker for a good trippel and this one was great.  I little different than most of their offerings but just as good nonetheless.  I wish it was available more often so I could drink it again and again.

(512) Pecan Porter with pumpkin spices through a pumpkin keg.  It was surprisingly good as I didn’t think I would like the pumpkin spices.  They caramelized the inside of the pumpkin then added cranberries and spices.  Very good way to finish the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment