February 18, 2014

The Brü Revü – (512) FOUR

It seemed fitting that I would christen my new Whole Foods growler with a beer from (512) Brewing.  They have to be my favorite local Austin brewery and since you can only get their beers on tap (save for very infrequent bottles of their FIVE and Whisky Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter) it was a perfect beer to get a fill.  My local Whole Foods had their FOUR which is an English Strong Ale and was their fourth anniversary beer and re-released seasonally.  It poured a hazy golden amber with a huge white head and great lacing.  The aroma was caramel sweet and biscuity with a hint of orange or grape but not from hops more from the sweetness.  The taste was a solid malt and toffee with more of the orange or grape fruitiness underneath.  The FOUR had a nice bitter hoppy finish that lingered on my palate and was a pleasant surprise given the more malt forward aroma and taste.  While I do not drink many English Strong Ales I found that I was really enjoying the FOUR.  I think it was the bitter hoppy finish that really rounded out the toasted malty sweetness that kept me coming back for more.  Another great beer from (512). 

(512) FOUR 




No comments:

Post a Comment