March 18, 2015

The Brü Revü – Stone Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard

It took me a while to get around to the Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard out of my Bastard Box, but the wait was worth it.  The beer poured a deep dark ruby-amber color with a significant off-white head with great retention and lacing.  The Bourbon Barrel aging was prominent in the aroma with hints of vanilla and coconut that overtook the base Arrogant aromas. The Bourbon notes were not overwhelming as in some barrel-aged beers but more subtle.  The base Arrogant Bastard shined through upon the first taste where the bitter Bastard hops poked through and that signature flavor emerged.  The Bourbon qualities were still present with the vanilla and coconut but adding a nuanced profile to the Arrogant Bastard rather than overwhelming it. There was an almost fruity floral quality lingering on my palate between sips that I attribute to the hops fighting through the barrel-aging.  In the end the Barrel-aging took that Bastard and gave it even more palate pummeling power.  Stone showed nice restraint as well as I could see more Bourbon may have been too much. I hear this is coming to six packs of 12 oz bottles this year so be sure to grab some if you missed on the Bastard Box.  These Bastards get me every time!

Stone Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard




No comments:

Post a Comment