October 9, 2012

The Brü Revü – Deschutes Hop in the Dark

I have been impressed with Deschutes beers in the past so when I saw their Hop in the Dark which was their version of a Black IPA, I couldn’t pass it up.  It poured a deep black with a slight tan head.  It was more malty on the nose with the first taste having a slight burnt malt flavor that gave way to a good bitterness.  The IPA hoppiness was matched with the burnt malt bitterness and balanced with a slightly sweet and toasty malt backbone with a hint of dark chocolate.  My taste buds deceived my sight as it looked like a stout but tasted like a dark and rich IPA.  While not as overly hoppy as other Black IPA’s I have had, there was a perfect balance of flavors that I easily quaffed.  This was another excellent offering from Deschutes and a great example of a Black IPA.

Deschutes Hop in the Dark







No comments:

Post a Comment