November 27, 2012

The Brü Revü – Saint Arnold Pumpkinator‏

The Saint Arnold Pumpkinator is sort of a mythical beer in Texas. It's supposed to be one of the best Texas brewed beers and the best beer by Saint Arnold, but it can be almost impossible to find. Basically the beer sells out almost the same day it is released so you can imagine how difficult it can be to find. I was somehow lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time as it was sitting on the shelves at my HEB so I had to grab one. I chose the weekend after Thanksgiving to crack it open since it was a pumpkin brew and seemed to fit the season. The Pumpkinator started as a Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 and is different than most pumpkin beers as it is an Imperial Stout as the base beer. It poured an opaque black with very little tan head. The aroma had a distinct spiciness over a sweet maltiness that reminded me of the liqueur BnB. There were hints of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg that were straight up pumpkin pie. The taste had those same spices but much more subdued and well balanced by the dark malty imperial stout. This was definitely a unique beer and the best Pumpkin beer and best Saint Arnold brew I have had. I'm happy I had this when I did as it fits the season well. I will definitely purchase the Pumpkinator in the future if I am lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time again. 

Saint Arnold Pumpkinator‏





No comments:

Post a Comment