August 29, 2012

The Brü Revü – Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale

After the Racer 5 IPA blew me away, I had to try another highly rated brew from Bear Republic. The Hop Rod Rye Ale is their version of a Double IPA brewed with 20% rye malt. I have really enjoyed other Rye brews in the past so this was a no brainer. First, let me start off with a small rant: I purchased this 4-pack and quickly got it home and put it in my beer fridge, where I discovered that I made it home with only 2 Hop Rods and 2 Racer 5s?!? Not a total disappointment since I really love Racer 5, but I do feel a bit screwed out of my other 2 Hop Rods. Let this be a lesson for all of you: check your 6-packs (or 4-packs) before purchase! To all of you scumbags who like to make your own mixed 6-packs to the detriment of the rest of us honest consumers, I hope the beer gods reward you with spoiled beers and head-splitting hangovers. Done, now on with the beer... As to be expected the Hop Rod was excellent. It poured a deep amber with plenty of hops and the sweet rye on the nose. A nicely balanced beer between the hop profile of the Racer 5 and the sweet rye malts. It was very delicately balanced and a nice drinking brew. If you are a fan of the Racer 5, be sure to check out the Hop Rod Rye Ale, just check your 4-packs!

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale




No comments:

Post a Comment