May 28, 2013

The Brü Revü – Founders Double Trouble

Double Trouble is Founders’ Imperial IPA and after trying this for the first time I could be in serious trouble.  Founders finally found its way to Texas and the seasonal Double Trouble was included in it’s Texas roll-out.  I honestly didn’t have a clue what I was in for when I picked this up: I saw Founders beers and wanted to grab something and an Imperial IPA is right up my alley.  It poured a deep gold with a solid white head that had good retention and lacing.  The aroma was full of tropical fruits, floral hops and citrusy grapefruit notes.  The initial taste was a huge grapefruit rind bitterness that deftly slid into a lingering floral hop bitterness and dry finish.  The bready malt backbone helped hide alcohol that was undetectable.  As the beer warmed the flavors became more intense and well balanced taking you through it’s robust hop flavor profile with every sip.  A troublingly tasty and tippable brew despite it’s high ABV and bold hop flavors.  My palate is in trouble as it will never be the same again as the Double Trouble deftly darted up my list of top Double IPA’s.

Founders Double Trouble








No comments:

Post a Comment