May 22, 2013

The Brü Revü – Oskar Blues Gubna

The legendary Gubna. This is a love/hate brew for a lot of people, and I land on the love side.  The Gubna is Oskar Blues Imperial IPA that highlights a single hop variety, Summit, while trying to achieve 100+ IBU’s.  They have recently decided to introduce copious amounts of Cascade hops to raise the hop complexity too.  The beer poured a golden amber with a generous white head.  I got a hint of onion in the aroma like I had heard, but more of a sweet onion with a base of sweet citrus and tropical fruit.  The taste was a bitter hop monster that erupted in my mouth like biting into a grapefruit rind.  The Gubna was big, bold and full of hop dominance with a blast of grapefruit and dank resinous hops.  The rye malt gave the brew a spicy malt balance and a great lingering taste on my tongue.  This had a very strong balanced bitterness that was delicious and surprisingly smooth and easy to drink.  It got a little boozy as it warmed, but that’s to be expected with such a high ABV.  In the end I have determined that I am decidedly Pro-Gubna!

Oskar Blues Gubna









No comments:

Post a Comment