May 1, 2014

The Brü Revü – Founders Backwoods Bastard

Having Founders beers in Texas has been phenomenal.  Everything they make is a top notch brew and I have been thoroughly enjoying every new beer I try from them.  I had heard of Backwood Bastard, but never thought I would get any as it was quite a rarity upon its release in Texas. Lucky me I happened to be at the right place at the right time: I asked the beer guy if they had any, he shuffles off to the back, and returns with a 4-pack. Wuh!  I had in my possession the sweet nectar of bourbon barrel aged scotch ale greatness.  The beer poured a deep brown with light hints of scarlett and a subtle off white head.  The aroma was a caramel vanilla sweetness wrapped in a bourbon blanket. I wanted to dip my entire face in my glass, but I resisted the temptation.  The taste was perfection.  The bourbon was upfront but not overly dominant, just the right touch.  It lended a smoky vanilla tone to the caramel malt sweetness of the beer that just glided along my palate.  The Backwood Bastard had enough heft in the body and light carbonation to hold up to the heavy flavors in this enticing elixir.  This was a truly phenomenal bourbon barrel aged brew and a real treat from Founders.  I don’t think the rest of these are going to last long in my fridge.

Founders Backwoods Bastard




No comments:

Post a Comment