January 1, 2012

The Brü Revü – Alesmith Speedway Stout‏

The Alesmith Speedway Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with coffee beans and is in the top 10 best beers in the world in many "best beer" rankings.  That is some good company and speaks to the high level of quality that Alesmith consistently delivers.  I made sure to bring a Speedway Stout back with me from San Diego and it had been "aging" in my fridge for about 6 months.  I figured Christmas Day was a good enough reason to pop open the Speedway Stout and give it a try.  The beer poured a pitch black with practically zero head.  The aroma was of coffee (of course), dark chocolate, and vanilla.  The first taste was stronger coffee and chocolate which mellowed and became much smoother and decadent as it warmed.  The Speedway Stout clocks in at a 12% ABV so by the time I finished my first glass I though this was easily the best beer on the planet! In retrospect I would put it up there with some of the best beers in the world, but to call it the best is more a matter of taste and mood.  This was a truly great beer that I was happy to get the opportunity to try.  It's a shame we cannot get it in Texas as I would love to drink more of this world class beer.

Alesmith Speedway Stout



No comments:

Post a Comment