February 9, 2012

The Brü Revü – Ommegang Three Philosophers

I received the Ommegang gift pack for Christmas and the Three Philosophers was the first beer from the pack I tried and my first beer from Ommegang, surprisingly.  It’s a Belgian Quad with a bit of Belgian Kriek (cherry lambic) added to the mix which is an interesting idea. The Three Philosophers was a great looking beer as well as great tasting, with big malts and little to no hop bitterness.  I didn’t pick up any huge cherry flavor only a slight tartness on the end that gave this brew a nice complexity along with the Belgian yeasts and sweet malt.  It’s a great gateway beer for someone unfamiliar with a Belgian Style or a stronger style of beer, as the cherry lambic helps to mellow out the Belgian Quadrupel.  After the Three Philosophers I can’t wait to try the rest of the beers in my gift pack!






No comments:

Post a Comment